Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Here's Comes Me, Fellas!

Well now that I have achieved my life's goal of being invited to contribute to Allison's movie blog I don't know how my life can go anywhere but downhill. I was wondering what sort of epic and profound first post I could make and decided on making a list of my favorite director cameos, but then decided I would include major roles by typically non-acting directors as well. So I don't know what the hell kind of title you could give to this list. Also it's in no particular order.

1. Tim Burton's appearance in the video dating shop in Singles. "He's only, like, the next Martin Score-seeeze."
2. Basically any Alfred Hitchcock cameo, but I particularly like the double bass he lugs around in Strangers on a Train.
3. François Truffaut in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I hate the movie, but his cheerful Frenchness makes me watch it every time it's on TV. He also makes a funny appearance in his awesome movie The Story of Adele H.
4. Roman Polanski slitting Jack Nicholson's nose in Chinatown. That might actually be my favorite.
5. David Lynch as FBI Bureau Chief Gordon Cole in both the show and movie Twin Peaks. Hi-freaking-larious.
6. Sydney Pollack as the American director in Avenue Montaigne. This is pretty much the only time I can say that Sydney Pollack pleases me.
7. John Huston playing Noah Cross in Chinatown, although I hesitate to put it on here since he did act semi-regularly unlike the other people on here.
8. Terrence Malick playing a detective in Badlands, giving us a nice little look at him before he decided to tantalize the world by making only a single, always completely awesome movie every ten years.
9. Francis Ford Coppola as the TV news guy in Apocalypse Now.
10. Jean-Luc Godard, looking very French and brooding as usual, as in the informer in Breathless.

So, if you haven't seen these movies and have no idea what I'm talking about, I guess you will just have to watch them and see.

But seriously, François Truffaut is the most adorable director ever.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Oh mah gawrsh, you made your first post ages ago and forgot to tell me! Anyways, congrats on becoming a member of our never-updated-or-read blog. I enjoyed your post thoroughly and will attempt writing more reviews in the near future. You might want to consider putting this blog on your facebook feed so everyone on the face can read it too.